Horizon is a unique place and people with a unique calling. As the name suggests, it is where heaven meets earth, where dirt mingles with the divine. For many years the halls of Horizon have rung with God’s truth, presence and grace preparing students to make a difference in our world. Horizon offers a complete educational path (PS-12) for students to discover, develop and be released to not only their full potential but to their God given identity and destiny!
THE HORIZON WAY includes a three track approach to Christian schooling. These three tracks specifically apply to academics, spiritual formation and opportunity as follows:
- Horizon is primarily a COLLEGE PREPARATORY academic institution where every student will be intentionally equipped for higher education. We anticipate that some will be scholars headed to elite universities. We also recognize and celebrate those that will be headed directly to careers, art schools or pursuits, the military or to the mission field. While most students who attend Horizon will be ready for academic challenge, we also will be open to students who struggle academically or have learning differences that we have the ability to address given limited resources.
- Horizon will be a place where spiritual formation is a priority. Our halls will be primarily inhabited by committed JESUS FOLLOWERS. However, we anticipate that a portion of our student body has not yet made that commitment. We also recognize that certain students will be spiritual leaders in our midst and in the future.
- Horizon will be a place of opportunity in athletics, the arts and in service. We fully anticipate that our students will experience success on stage, on the court and in the community. Some of our students will be beginners in these endeavors, some will be SKILLED and some even elite but all will have opportunity. Further, Horizon’s doors are open to students of diverse background and socio-economic status. We will intentionally reach out to students across cultures, both locally and around the world. Although most of our student body will come from families with means to support a private education, we will aggressively pursue tuition assistance funding to make Horizon available to as many as possible who desire to attend and who we believe are called to be here.
A HORIZON EDUCATION includes quality instruction that will meet and exceed the common core requirements in the core subjects of English, Math, Science, Social Studies and Second Language. Additionally, we also see training and involvement in the Arts, Athletics, Spiritual Formation and Service as essential to a comprehensive education. We will pursue excellence in all of these endeavors for the glory of God and the good of each student!
- Bringing LIFE to Learning: Like any quality school, we endeavor to bring learning to life. But at Horizon we purpose to Bring LIFE to Learning. LIFE is brought to learning when teachers pour their passionate hearts and committed lives into the academic content. LIFE is brought to learning when knowledge is set on fire by the presence and Word of God. LIFE is brought to learning when truth is not only taught but is lived. And LIFE is ultimately brought to learning by the person of Jesus being embraced, experienced and pursued.
- The New 3 R’s of Education: The classic pursuit of education has involved Reading, wRiting and aRithmetic. In order to be effective in the current culture there are 3 “new” R’s that must be employed:
- Relationships. It has been said that students “Don’t care how much you know until they know how much you care.” Thus, the first responsibility of educators must be to know and care for their students individually.
- Relevance. How does the educational content apply to everyday life and current culture? Why is knowing this material important? Are instructors in tune with the culture and able to engage students through innovative instructional strategies?
- Rigor. Students need to be pushed in order to achieve their potential. The appropriate amount of rigor must be employed and expected in all areas of educational pursuit.
- Interdenominational: The vision of HCS is to develop a great school system, devoid of denominational distinctives, for the glory of God and as a ministry to the greater Portland metro area.
- Whoever Will May Come: HCS is not just open to current Jesus followers but to every student who feels called here and is willing to abide by the code of conduct, realizing that Jesus and Scripture will be intentionally and boldly taught at all levels.
- Changed Lives. We believe that the power, purpose, presence and people of Jesus will change lives. We will use every opportunity to declare the Good News of Jesus and the life-changing value of Scripture.
- Developing Greatness. We have high expectations of students and seek to develop and unleash their potential in full expectation that Jesus has in mind greatness!
HORIZON STAFF MEMBERS are selected based in large part on their calling and commitment. We desire to have the best (character) and the brightest (competence) in the classroom and in support and leadership positions. Horizon staff are challenged to be culturally relevant, decidedly relational and academically rigorous. We make it a priority to hire staff that are innovative, life-long learners and who are ready to pour their hearts into students.